I finally got a slow cooker! Get ready for a plethora of crock pot recipes soon to be posted. This was the first of my many experiments.
This is an easy and nutritious breakfast that is ready to go when you are when you wake up in the morning. It’s great for when you have guests over for breakfast or if you want to make breakfast for the entire week ahead of time and eat it all for yourself! Your first time making it I would recommend cooking it during the day when you are home to prevent mushy oatmeal. The cooking time will vary depending on the type of slow cooker you use.
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp. honey (agave nectar, maple syrup, or brown sugar can also be substituted)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Coat the inside of your slow cooker with a canola oil based cooking spray, this will prevent a messy clean up!
- Combine all ingredients into the slow cooker and stir and cover
- Cook ingredients on low for approximately 7 hours
- Add optional toppings such as sliced almonds, walnuts, cranberries, raisins, or granola